onsdag 14. oktober 2009

George Orwell



The English author Eric Arthur Blair, better known as George Orwell, was born 25 June 1903. He was born in Inida but was brought back to England by his parents when he was only one year old. He attended the school Henley before he went to Eton. Many of the teachers reported that his achievemnts at school was bad, though some said otherwise. Because of his familys inability to pay the fees, he was not able to go to the unviersity.

Orwell then went to Burma to join the police force, since his family had connections there. When he later returned to England after resigning from the police force, he started focusing on writing. His first novel "Burmese Days" was published in 1934, and he wrote the novel on the basis of his time in Burma.

He later took a job as a teacher in England, and since it was a small school, he could also use some of his time to focus on his writing. Through his life, he wrote a lot of novels and some books, including the one we have read in class "Down and Out in Paris and London". He was a heavy smoker and died 21 january 1950 in the early age of 46. Orwell made a huge influence on popular and political culture with the numerous literary concepts he left behind.

3 kommentarer:

  1. never heard of him. I think it's kind of weird that he has two names...

    SvarSlett
  2. I know george orwell.
    Do you know 'Animal Farm'?
    He was published this novel in 1934.
    Animal Farm is George Orwell's satire.
    It talks about dictatorial.
    Novel's Result was very interested.
    Why don't you reading this novel?
    I recommend it.

    SvarSlett
  3. To Annie :)
    Thank you for the good feedback on my posts! I tried to visit your blog, but my internet wouldn't load the page, so I will just have to try another time ;)

    As you know, my name is Birgitte and I am attending my last year at Sandvika. I like to listen to music and hang out with my friends.
    That's so cool that you sing in a choir! I like to sing too :)

    I haven't read a lot from George Orwell, in fact we just learned about him in class, but maybe I will read the novel you suggest :)

    Stay in touch!
    우리가 얘기하자 (I don't know if this is right, but... :P )

    SvarSlett